Sunday, January 07, 2007

Black Shake Breakfast: Cocoa, Tahini and Banana

Black Shake Breakfast: Cocoa, Tahini and Banana.jpg

Just before going to cook brunch with some pals, a thick and rich snack was in order. I blended:

1 cup soy milk (more if needed to make thinner)
1/4 pound (peeled weight) banana, peeled, sliced, then frozen (about 2 medium bananas)
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Dutched cocoa powder
2 tablespoons tahini

Preparing the banana over 1 day in advance to freeze is key to the shake's thickness. Tahini imparts a smooth creaminess; switch to peanut butter when you want that favorite chocolate peanut butter taste. If you really want to kick it up a bit, add a pinch of cayenne. My only regret: I didn't make twice this amount.

photo: Chris B.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dan K said...

CB - I follwed this recipe, per your recommendation, but used crunchy peanut butter instead of tahini and went for two tablespoons of the cocoa we picked up together. This is one of the most intense dessert drinks I've consumed. I'd love to know the health benefits. I'm sure there are many. I'm using cayenne pepper next time. - DK

11:52 AM  
Blogger Rosie said...

Another killer combo using peanut butter is to blend up:

1 cup of soy milk
1 banana (not frozen)
1 cup of frozen strawberries
a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter

Though the color of blended strawberries and nut butter is nothing to brag about, it sure is good!!! Add a scoop of your favorite protein powder for a suped up smoothie!

11:40 PM  
Blogger Rosie said...

Oh, and on the topic of dutch process cocoa - I've pretty much switched to using that in my favorite vegan chocolate cake recipe. The moist cake comes out so dark and delicious! It has a much richer flavor that the regular cocoa. I'll try it in my smoothie next time!

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home